From one Room to Another
I moved into the dorms at the University of Utah for my first year. They moved me down to the old dorms for the olympics, then I moved back home for the summer. I moved to Bonn the year after that. Then Duesseldorf, then Kaiserslautern, then six months in Muehlheim a.M. then back home until my last semesters back in the dorms at the University of Utah (the first dorm they assigned me was with really irresponsible Freshmen, so I asked them to move me to grad student dorms, which worked MUCH BETTER). I moved down to Provo for my summer semester, and lived in my brother's townhome while he was in Michigan for an internship. After I finished classes and my brother and family moved back, I moved to another house in a nearby neighborhood with my sister, but moved into a third house in Provo when a cheaper room became available. Then I moved home again to save money for grad school.
I moved away to grad school in Virginia, but the first room I found in Fairfax, though convenient to the school, was fraught with religious prejudices, so I moved into a dear friend's family until I moved to Alexandria (and to England during the summer, staying at Oxford and London), and then back home after I graduated.
I moved to Salt Lake City when I was accepted to a PhD program, to rent a room in a friend's two-bedroom apartment, but miscommunication (mine) and mental illness (hers) meant another, brief move into a friend's rooms in Millcreek while most of my stuff stayed in storage. When I moved back to Salt Lake City for the fall semester, I found a room in a lovely house in Sugarhouse, but when my program funding ran out, I had to move into a friend's basement until her divorce was finalized and the house sold, when we both moved into rooms with a third friend (owned by her sister) where I have been living since then.
Tomorrow, I will be moving back into student housing until it drains my loan money (unless I can finish my dissertation first). And then I will be moving again.
And I understand a little better the freak-out about keys last year.
Where is my ground?
Home is where the wifi connects automatically.
That reminds me: I might need a new router.
I moved away to grad school in Virginia, but the first room I found in Fairfax, though convenient to the school, was fraught with religious prejudices, so I moved into a dear friend's family until I moved to Alexandria (and to England during the summer, staying at Oxford and London), and then back home after I graduated.
I moved to Salt Lake City when I was accepted to a PhD program, to rent a room in a friend's two-bedroom apartment, but miscommunication (mine) and mental illness (hers) meant another, brief move into a friend's rooms in Millcreek while most of my stuff stayed in storage. When I moved back to Salt Lake City for the fall semester, I found a room in a lovely house in Sugarhouse, but when my program funding ran out, I had to move into a friend's basement until her divorce was finalized and the house sold, when we both moved into rooms with a third friend (owned by her sister) where I have been living since then.
Tomorrow, I will be moving back into student housing until it drains my loan money (unless I can finish my dissertation first). And then I will be moving again.
And I understand a little better the freak-out about keys last year.
Where is my ground?
Home is where the wifi connects automatically.
That reminds me: I might need a new router.
Comments
Post a Comment