Dreaming



I burnt myself rather badly at Lake Tahoe on Saturday. It was totally worth it. Did you know that the water shimmers with gold flecks?


That night as I was sleeping hesitantly on my tender back, I dreamed.


I married a man. We played chess (not a euphemism) in a badly upholstered room with over-worn shag carpets in seventies colors. We did nothing else for several days, and I felt intellectually satisfied. Then, while he was away at work, something happened and I had to leave to help my family. I didn't leave a note or anything, and didn't see him for three days. When the family crisis was averted I felt a little guilty, as if I'd forgotten my new spouse, so I returned to him feeling rather apologetic. He looked at me sadly, knowing that he had slipped my mind. I curled my arms around his neck slowly and hoped I could undo my carelessness.


I woke up when the Advil started to wear off and turned over carefully. Then I dreamed I got a manicure on the side of a bald mountain from a short, middle-aged guy with thinning hair.



Comments

  1. In dreams, mountains often represent insurmountable obstacles. Sounds like short guys to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

High and Low Horses

The Species of my Faith Tree

The Love-Doctrine Tightrope