Another Post about Dating

 I feel like I blog about dating a lot. I think it's because I lost the journal I usually use to write out my experiences and feelings about the guys. I do apologize if I'm boring both of my readers.

So mixed in with the general male rejection of me, which is to be expected and isn't a thing I'm worried about correcting at the moment, another pattern is beginning to emerge: men who date like fireworks - it explodes pretty for a few minutes, and then fizzles and dies.

Covid still exists. It's by parts mundane and overwhelmingly horrifying, and there's not really a way to predict which will happen to any one person. It causes brain damage, permanent heart damage, and fatigue in otherwise healthy individuals who may or may not experience symptoms. I'm willing to take precautions to avoid it, and the fewer precautions the public takes, the more I am willing to avoid everybody else.

Many men express a preference for in-person contact, and normally, I'd agree with them 100%. I'm willing to drive the four hours to Utah to meet them. Except right now Utah is particularly bad at containing Covid, and that means waiting until I'm vaccinated. In July.

So when a man pops up on Mutual and says, "I love you, you're perfect, come meet me!" I have to say, "Absolutely! What are you doing at 7:00 p.m. on August 15th?" and then he says, "Sure, that sounds nice. . ." and then within two or three conversations, the tone sours and suddenly I'm processing rejection vibes again.

Movies have taught me that some people believe in this sense of timing, as if falling in love is like catching a train - you have to be waiting on the platform just as it pulls in, and just before it pulls out. Except the movies tend to emphasize that the person wasn't actually waiting for a train, they were trying to do something entirely different, and accidentally ended up at the train station at just the right moment with a ticket in their hands, and without pausing to wonder where the train is going, they get on and take a ride.

I love trains. Catching a train in real life is a bit more complicated than it is in the movies. Sometimes you stand at the station for a long time watching the wrong trains come and go. You eat a pastry and complain in your head that the homeless people have taken up all the benches. Sometimes you miss your train, and have to wait for the next one which can take a long time (not as long as waiting for a date in your 40s, though). Catching a train during Covid. . . now that's another story.

The train metaphor implies that there is some external time table - some schedule set by the powers-that-be - and we are helpless against it. We catch the train or we miss the train, but we do not control the speed or time of arrival or departure.

Humans are subject to many natural laws, but we have a particular gift: agency. Humans can choose not to be like trains or have explosive relationships. Humans can choose the slow burn, or the long path to achieve their aims. If we don't get the immediate reinforcement or reward for our current behaviors, we are still capable of choosing to continue on faith. And we are capable of deciding for ourselves whether that sounds like the right thing to do.

So perhaps, for me, this means that although I know by experience that I am capable of taking the long path (like earning a PhD., adjuncting, or working through interpersonal differences long-distance), and I'm waiting for a relationship that is worth that long path. Marriage is a long path, and perhaps I don't have the faith that chance encounter on a train platform can weather the mundanity of it. Or maybe one of the things I truly admire in men is tenacity, and that can only be proven over time. Maybe I need to date a farmer or gardener who knows the patience of growing things, and can put those same skills into growing relationships.

Shakespeare wrote, in The Merchant of Venice, a woman whose vast fortunes were tied to a riddle: any prospective suitor was presented with three caskets (boxes), one of gold, one of silver, and one of lead, and on the lead box are the words, "Who chooseth me must give and hazard all he hath." Portia's father wanted his daughter to win a man who was willing to take risks to be with her, not somebody who was too tied up in money or himself to be invested in her or their union.

    This reading is, of course, partially skewed by our contemporary ideas of marriage.

Maybe my path is too long, and I ought to lower my standards? *laugh*

With or without trains, my life is good and I'm having fun.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

High and Low Horses

The Species of my Faith Tree

The Love-Doctrine Tightrope