YWValues: Individual Worth
"Individual Worth" is the most paradoxical of all of the values taught in the Young Women program. It's the church's version of self-esteem, except that if you notice, it doesn't say "your worth" or "my worth." The wording of it does not allow us to stop at recognizing our own worth: we must also recognize the worth of every other individual, for exactly the same reasons.
Individual Worth is not earned. Like God's love, it is something we learn to accept regardless of our situation or decisions. When we can accept that we are inherently valuable, and when we believe it and are confident in it, it's easier to accept the value of others: their value does not threaten our own. It's why, even when I am uncertain of the movement or organization, I do not hesitate to agree with the sentiment that black lives matter. Because they do. Without caveats or divisions or exceptions. If my life matters, so do theirs.
The language of "worth" implies a quantifiable value in a specific market. Some of the most devilish schemes devised place a monetary value on human life for individual profit. In order to understand the true worth of an individual, you MUST accept the existence of alternate currencies.
And then you must understand what was paid for us. When our Savior suffered in Gethsemane and then died on the cross, he did so completely.
Rule 9: The Atonement has no exceptions or loopholes. That's what "eternal" means.
By our sinning, we owe a debt that we cannot repay. As the proud owner of graduate-level student loans, I feel this on so many levels. By our sinning, we belong to the devil, but Jesus bought us back, because he loves us. So if we accept his payment for us, then we belong to him. It's like if J. K. Rowling bought all my student loans and then let me pay her back at my own pace when I got back on my feet again. Two things would happen: I would adore her forever, and defend her to the death, and I would kill myself to pay her back. (student loans are apparently closely associated with death and murder in my head. Very emotional subject).
Except with Jesus, we pay it forward: we accept our debt by serving others.
I think that if each one of us were the only other person on earth apart from Jesus himself, he would still have paid the price in pain to save us. If it were just you, blundering about after the fall, he would have come down and done it all to save you, and then waited patiently for you to decide if you wanted to be saved.
The paradox of Individual Worth is that while we can only be saved individually and personally, we can only be exalted together. The ultimate goal is to return to our Heavenly Father as a united family, brothers and sisters and enemies and strangers. I cannot achieve my highest goals without you.
But you matter to me for more reasons than that. I think your soul is beautiful. I hope we're neighbors in heaven.
Individual Worth is not earned. Like God's love, it is something we learn to accept regardless of our situation or decisions. When we can accept that we are inherently valuable, and when we believe it and are confident in it, it's easier to accept the value of others: their value does not threaten our own. It's why, even when I am uncertain of the movement or organization, I do not hesitate to agree with the sentiment that black lives matter. Because they do. Without caveats or divisions or exceptions. If my life matters, so do theirs.
The language of "worth" implies a quantifiable value in a specific market. Some of the most devilish schemes devised place a monetary value on human life for individual profit. In order to understand the true worth of an individual, you MUST accept the existence of alternate currencies.
And then you must understand what was paid for us. When our Savior suffered in Gethsemane and then died on the cross, he did so completely.
Rule 9: The Atonement has no exceptions or loopholes. That's what "eternal" means.
By our sinning, we owe a debt that we cannot repay. As the proud owner of graduate-level student loans, I feel this on so many levels. By our sinning, we belong to the devil, but Jesus bought us back, because he loves us. So if we accept his payment for us, then we belong to him. It's like if J. K. Rowling bought all my student loans and then let me pay her back at my own pace when I got back on my feet again. Two things would happen: I would adore her forever, and defend her to the death, and I would kill myself to pay her back. (student loans are apparently closely associated with death and murder in my head. Very emotional subject).
Except with Jesus, we pay it forward: we accept our debt by serving others.
I think that if each one of us were the only other person on earth apart from Jesus himself, he would still have paid the price in pain to save us. If it were just you, blundering about after the fall, he would have come down and done it all to save you, and then waited patiently for you to decide if you wanted to be saved.
The paradox of Individual Worth is that while we can only be saved individually and personally, we can only be exalted together. The ultimate goal is to return to our Heavenly Father as a united family, brothers and sisters and enemies and strangers. I cannot achieve my highest goals without you.
But you matter to me for more reasons than that. I think your soul is beautiful. I hope we're neighbors in heaven.

Comments
Post a Comment