Weird Sisters
I feel like I have blogged about this before. But as it is a recurring theme in my head, it might as well recur here.
I was meditating peacefully in one of the holiest places on earth when it occurred to me again (because my brain has to be trained and slowly stroked into peacefulness, and it doesn't always work just before a new semester) that if I had managed to have a similar life back then, I would absolutely 100% have been burned as a witch in the middle ages.
Frankly, it didn't take much. Unprotected women were the easiest targets (though as far as I can tell, men were also targeted). That meant poor widows, older single adults, the literate, and basically anyone who could inspire suspicion, fear, jealousy, or dislike. That's me all over the place. I'm not procreating, and therefore serve no useful purpose in the community. It's not that I'm grumpy, necessarily. Even married women get grumpy. It's that I don't have a gift for allaying suspicion. It is a challenge for me to lay out the workings of my brain in a way that other people can understand. My priorities and motivations are self-determined, and I rely heavily on instinct. Can you imagine a better recipe for accusations of witchcraft? I mean BESIDES sleeping with everybody's husbands, which isn't really my ouvre. Really, though, they'd just have to suspect it. It doesn't have to be real.
I'm less frightened of being a witch in Terry Pratchett's head. Unlike the Harry Potter universe, witchcraft on the Discworld wasn't necessarily an inborn skill (like sourcery is), but a vocation that requires training. They perform a lot of mundane chores that can include everything from birthing babies, tending to the ill and elderly, and simply being willing to stare down Death. A lot of witching in that world is just being willing to do what others won't when the stakes are high. There, I'm not sure I qualify.
Granny Weatherwax uses what she calls "headology" which is somewhere between manipulation, psychology, and telepathy.
The Discworld witchcraft is based on two skills: first sight, and second thoughts. First Sight is the ability to see what's actually there. It can include communicating with things people can't usually communicate with (like ghosts, inanimate objects, etc.), and it also includes the ability to see people as they really are, not just as what they want you to see. You can see how a skill like that might get you burned. To survive, a witch would also have to be able to selectively allow people their illusions. That's not a skill I have.
Second thoughts are simply thoughts functioning on a meta-level. Thoughts about thinking. Once you've arrived at that third dimension of thought, you can think about thinking through several different levels, or allow the levels to communicate with each-other. You have become aware of the product of thoughts, you can self-criticize, and you can begin manipulating your own and others perception. You can think laterally and divergently. It offers a degree of independence, because you no longer need someone else to show you how you are thinking wrong.
I admire Discworld witches. I think they have a lot in common with the real women I admire here, too: women who work hard in the service of others, who have broadened their values to include the marginalized, and who think about how they are thinking to try and work to control it. These women might not be beautiful, or fully integrated socially, but they are powerful.
Comments
Post a Comment