The Question of Ugliness
Before the Fall, everything was soft and kind to Eve and Adam. Everything produced food, scent, utility, or beauty. I'm not sure how that's possible, but I suppose it's something I'll have to try to remember when I'm dead. (I'm not at all certain the effect of the veil of forgetfulness is intended to be reversed.)
The Fall produced a lot of discomfort: animals became predatory; plants became reluctant, bitter, and sharp; people encountered disease, age, and injury. I have often wondered how many of these effects are intended to be reversed when Earth again becomes a paradise, either temporarily or permanently. And what about ugliness? If all of the senses (what are we up to: like twenty-eight?) are at risk from some fallen sensation, why shouldn't ugliness be a consequence of the fall, and subsequently vanish during the millenium and afterlife, like other consequences? I mean both human ugliness and otherwise (if either exists).
Another possibility is that ugliness (and therefore other sensory oppressions?) is not a consequence of the Fall as much as the Fall was a change in human life that allowed us the sensitivity to perceive negativity. If you were Superman, you wouldn't notice stepping on thistles (also, if you had no sensory nerve endings). But with the blue kryptonite of The Fall, suddenly being punctured through your velvety soles is a lot more unpleasant (you'd need shoes. And clothes). So what if after the Fall, instead of things becoming ugly, human perception changed so that we give preference to certain perceptions? That would also allow for the development of taste - why some people think spiders, for instance, are incredible, while others scream and throw shoes (or why I find snakes elegant, while most people are naturally repulsed - Seriously, though, I always have issues with the part of the Eden story that uses snakes as a metaphor for Lucifer. I'm really happy that Moses was able to offer some redemption to the poor thing with the Nehushtan). Long digression. Sorry.
So when we look at human beauty, and the way it changes with culture, I think in some way we are dealing with a consequence of The Fall. In the same way that I agonize about gender essentialism, I wonder how much of our personal being belongs to us, and how much simply given as part of our earthly existence.
One thing that seems to make sense is the acknowledgement that anything that gives us social privilege is not innate in the human soul. By that logic, any disadvantages will be erased in the hereafter, one way or another. We can neither take credit for our advantages, nor place individual blame for inequalities. If I am given five talents and another twenty, that person might take credit for turning twenty into fifty, but cannot consider himself proportionally better than I, who turns five into ten. The math doesn't translate. Five talents and twenty talents might as well be oak leaves and gold leaf.
And so with beauty: beautiful people (those who conform to cultural standards of attractiveness) may have many social advantages over ugly people (same qualifications - those who do not possess culturally admired features), but they cannot, at the judgment seat, rightfully claim to have earned those advantages. Ugly people may, however, have some claim in the face of adversity. I am, fortunately, not a judge. I just know that our petty, social differences are meaningless to a God whose standards are well-published, and specifically exclude any standard for physical beauty, but not vanity. And wealth, but not selfishness. And skin color, but not cruelty or anger. And temptation, but not obedience.
That seems to suggest to me that such privilege is temporary.
What of the argument that our repulsion for ugliness is natural? It's a biological imperative to find an attractive and genetically successful mate? Does, in this case, evolution directly oppose creationism?
Interesting thoughts. I think...I think that since we will recognize each other in heaven, we will still have our same basic physical appearance. The duckling won't be transformed into a swan (physically, that is). It will still be a duck, but a perfect one. And the swan will be a perfect swan. And they will both rejoice in their respective perfections.
ReplyDeleteBut I also think that you are right that the perception of ugliness is a consequence of the Fall, and of course that it is at least partly socially constructed and subject to change according to the whims of fashion. Certainly that fashionable aspect of "ugliness" so-called will vanish in the resurrection "fashion" and "eternity" seem to me to be utterly incompatible.
But what about the aspects (I think there are at least two) that are a consequence of the Fall itself? First, the introduction of pain, hardship, toil, disease, etc. which takes its toll on our bodies. That, we believe, the resurrection will overcome--we will be restored to our "perfect frame." On the other hand, Jesus retained His crucifixion scars. Some have taught that these will be removed once the need for them as a witness of his identity and sacrifice is gone, but I find no scriptural confirmation of that. And I wonder if the glory of that witness will ever really be "no longer necessary". I cannot believe Jesus or the other members of the Godhead perceive his scars as anything other than tokens of divine love. And from that perspective, I'm not sure why it would be necessary to wipe them away. Likewise with us, while I'm sure that as a general principle, our physical deformities will be lifted, perhaps some of the marks of mortality will be glorified, rather than removed.
Which brings me to the last bit--the idea that there is some innate recognition of "the beautiful" and "the ugly" that we now perceive as a consequence of mortality. I think the quality of beauty really exists (as does its opposite), and that it will persist past the resurrection. But, again, it will have to be perfected; even those most sensitive to beauty in this life (and I believe it is a spiritual gift that some are given, and all may cultivate) have that sensitivity only imperfectly; it is marred by the Fall and likely to have been distorted to some degree by society. Regarding this inherent sensitivity to beauty and its opposite--resurrection isn't a reversal of the Fall, but a progression beyond it, so one assumes that we will become more sensitive, not less. And in some way, then, what we now perceive as painful or ugly, if it receives any degree of glory, will be transformed to our senses into something beautiful; not, perhaps, because the outward appearance has changed at all, but that our ability to appreciate it has.
Just to clarify; when I say that beauty/ugliness will persist past the resurrection, I mean that the qualities will retain their value--not that things we now call beautiful or ugly will necessarily still be perceived as such in the resurrection--they will only insofar as our perceptions were correct. To paraphrase C.S. Lewis, everything in creation is becoming more and more itself. And we, in our glorified state, will be able to see things as they really are.
Delete