Quantum Marriage
When people ask (and they don't, so I tell them anyway) whether I think I'll ever get married I tell them part of me knows I'll get married soon (November 2014, to be precise for no apparent reason) and part of me is certain I won't marry in this life. But that's not precisely true. I'm not divided on the subject. I am whole-heartedly both. In my future, crouching in the tall grass, creeps a quantum marriage. It is and isn't at the same time. As Schrodinger's box, I contain the two possibilities: the dead cat, and the live and very angry cat. But I'm a sentient box (where have we seen one of those recently?) and I also have to function in non-quantum space.
As a functioning quantum-containment unit, I react to questions, situations, and opportunity in one of two extreme ways. In my head, both possibilities create different actions/words/reactions and I am forced to remain inert, or to choose to manifest one of the possibilities. I'm getting faster at simply choosing one depending on the situation, but that so often leaves me at the mercy of the situation, disagreeing with whatever has just been said. But now that my internal technology is sufficiently advanced, I can just tell people "it's quantum," or "I'm being quantum," like "being of two minds."
We make little decisions every day and early quantum theory would have us believe that every little decision creates an alternate universe in which any number of other decisions are being enacted. Reality bifurcates at every left turn. But in my experience, it doesn't happen that way at all. Although every decision may bifurcate reality so that all possibilities exist simultaneously, those realities contribute towards two basic trends. And unimportant decisions either merely blip (grocery-store decisions, like Downy or Tide) and are absorbed into what crudely boils down into all of the options between two opposing poles: good and evil. Resist the urge to assume I've chosen a Star Trek model over the Doctor Who model. The world is full of billions of people each of whom makes the same good/evil (etc.) decisions in a binary scale, and those universes are woven together as they bifurcate.
What that means is that for each life-stream, for each agent human, two universes exist in parallel, but going opposite directions. We jump universes with each moral decision, and ride the stream until faced with another moral decision and its quantum binary. The decision isn't "am I good or evil" but "which of my personal universes am I in?" In my head it looks a little like this:
But that's not what it's like at all, because quantum, and certain television shows put me in the habit of criminally reducing complexity into simple visual metaphors.
"Quantum" is the simultaneous existence of human-centric treadmill-like universes, especially in the linear time before the decisions are made, in the daily uncertainties. Agency isn't quantum, but the fact of agency creates the effect of quantum: of multiple possibilities existing simultaneously. But quantum cannot be observed or observable. How does God factor into quantum? And what does my quantum marriage have to do with treadmills?
Don't say it. It isn't true nohow.
Comments
Post a Comment