The Diet-Free Zone
I don't know how many times I will have to, or get to, say this, but the Word of Wisdom does not forbid sugar of any kind - processed, natural, or taken intravenously. And yet, in any given lesson on the Word of Wisdom, somebody will bring it up. We invent health laws for ourselves, and think that God has sanctioned them. It's dangerous.
It's never a bad thing to take care of yourself, but did you know that your brain NEEDS sugar? Too much is probably almost as bad as none at all, but none at all isn't something to aim for. And yet well-meaning, middle-aged singles jump on every fad diet like it's the answer to their prayers of finding a husband. Girls, If he doesn't like your personality BEFORE you diet, it's just going to be more obvious when you're all Zenobia Fromme.
I am a diet-free zone for two reasons: first, I follow the Word of Wisdom as closely as I am able, and that is where the blessings lie, not in "looking beyond the mark" and trying to out-do God's laws for wisdom. It isn't possible, and that kind of tightness in our souls will make us puritanical, and unhealthy mentally. Secondly, I truly believe, from my heart, that good food is one of this life's great blessings. I think if we are sensible about healthy, good-tasting food, our enjoyment of eating increases. Bingeing, junk-food, fast-food, and any forbidden item on the WoW list all decrease our ability to enjoy the foods that really taste good. Have you ever noticed that food in-season tastes better? Or that when you eat a dingdong after several years it just tastes like wax and cellophane (because it probably is?)? Have you noticed that when you eat more slowly you can taste the food better, and that you are full more quickly?
God gave us the Word of Wisdom. It isn't advice: it's a commandment.
I'm going to give you some advice. It isn't a commandment, and not everybody can live this way and be happy (or, you know, skinny); that's why it's advice, and why God will never make it a commandment. Don't let food make you miserable, either by deprivation or gluttony. Do what makes you happiest, so the people around you can be happy too, and every little piece of happy will make the world a better place. But take the LONG VIEW of happiness - what will make you happy in twenty years too, not just what will take your mind off being stood up last night.
Comments
Post a Comment